• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freespirit03187

My aunt passed away last 2011. She was divorced, with no children. My grandparents pre-deceased her. Therefore, that makes all my aunts and uncles (her sisters and brothers) heirs to her assets. My mother also pre-deceased my aunt, and with the law of succession my brother and I becomes co-heirs with my deceased aunt brothers and sisters. Now, the problem is, we are all not in the US and the only brother of my aunt who was able to go to the US is forcing us to sign an authorization letter to sell the house of my aunt. Another thing is, my deceased mom is a beneficiary of one of my deceased aunts annuities. I understand that since my mom passed away already, her benefit claims for the annuity will go to the estate of my aunt. The thing is, until now, we haven't receive any valid information regarding the estate. What shall we do? I cannot trust my uncle who is asking for an authorization to sell the house therefore I didn't sign any authorization until now. What should I do with all these issues?

anteater

In what state is the probate of your aunt's estate taking place?

Has your uncle opened probate and been appointed by the court to administer her estate?

Is there some reason that you object to the sale of the house?

If there were no contingent beneficiaries named for the annuity, it is probably correct that the proceeds would be payable to the aunt's estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">