• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance of money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catjack1

What is the name of your state? Kansas/Alabama

Hi. I live in Kansas, but my grandpa's land in Alabama just sold. The thing is, he passed away in the 1970s, but the title has never been changed to any of his 4 children. My dad was one of the beneficiaries of the property. My dad passed away three years ago. Does his inheritance of $200,000 likely go to my mom? She was the primary beneficiary of my dad's will. I would assume so, but the one thing that's been troubling me is that my sister and I have to sign a bunch of papers and I'm not quite sure why.

Any insight?

Dandy Don

Was dad's will officially probated in probate court?

Is your mother still living?

So who has sold the property now?

You or the executor of your father's estate need to be checking with the parties involved in the sale to find out if you all are going to be receiving a share or not. If you are told no then you need to be consulting with a probate attorney to examine your father's will and consult with a real estate attorney to find out if you need to do something legally to get dad's name officially added to the deed since that appears not to have been done.

Let's hope you haven't signed away your rights if you don't even remember what you signed or if you didn't ask for copies of the documents. Don't sign anything else in the future regarding this unless you have the advice of an attorney first or some other responsible party to help you understand what you sign.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">