• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance! What Inheritance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Denise Stoesser

What is the name of your state? Colorado
However, the parties involved all resided in California when this occured.
My Aunt past away in 1989 and my Grandmother past in 1990. My Mother was the executor for both. Apparently, my Mother, too busy and overwelmed to bother with formalities, failed to give me a copy of the wills and the inheritance for which they proclaimed. Her reasoning for not giving me my inheritance she stated was; "what do need that kind of money for?" My response was simply not to have one, just as I had always been taught. Eventually I did receive some money from my Grandmother's estate. Years past and it did not come up again until, one of my cousins and I were chatting and looking through old memorabilia. It turns out, there was money left to me in both will's that my Mother did not dispurse to me. At the time I simply assumed the money had been invested and some day my ship would come in. I am 40 years old now and with all my courage I brought up the inheritance. Inheritance! What inheritance? It seems, as per my Mother, "I owed it to her" and that is where it went.
**Is it okay forthe execcutor to decide where that money goes?
**Has it been too many years?
**Can I somehow demand from her my inheritance that I never received?
**Is ignorance an excuse?
**Do I need a Lawyer?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Denise Stoesser said:
**Is it okay forthe execcutor to decide where that money goes?
No it's not ok

**Do I need a Lawyer?
Yes you do need a lawyer (who can also answer the question as to how any statute of limitations may apply here).

pojo2

How much do you think you are entitled to? Even if you should get some kind of judgement/remedy is there anything still to be had or has Mom gone through it all. If there is nothing to be had then you must decide how much you are willing to pay said Atty (make take years and thousands of dollars) in order to teach mom a lesson.

Only you know the answers to those questions.

Dandy Don

Are you saying that both deaths occurred in California?

You will need to order copies of the probate records of both estates (or go to the county courthouse probate court and look at the records yourself or ask a friend to go look at them for you) to get an exact confirmation of what the will says and how much money you were supposed to receive.

You have waited to late to receive anything legally, due to the statute of limitations. If you consult an attorney you will want to find out if she could be charged with theft, theft from an estate, embezzlement, or any other possible charges.

Can your mother even afford to repay you now? If ot, then let it go and forgive her, even though what she did was very wrong. Don't forget to ask her at least once if she is going to leave you anything in HER estate, and find out what the monthly premiums on a life insurance policy would be for a $75,000, $100,000 or $200,000 life insurance policy on her life and then get the policy if you can afford to make the premium payments.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

divgradcurl

BelizeBreeze said:
You need to speak with a Probate attorney in California.

However, I suspect the statute of limitations has tolled.
BB, just to be precise, if the statute of limitations is "tolled," that means it is NOT running. In this case, the statute of limitations has probably "run," so that it is too late to sue.

BelizeBreeze

divgradcurl said:
BB, just to be precise, if the statute of limitations is "tolled," that means it is NOT running. In this case, the statute of limitations has probably "run," so that it is too late to sue.
well hell, see what eating jalapenos does to you...gives you the Tolls.;)

Denise Stoesser

Nice guys finish last

Moms rich! Filthy rich!! Church going republicans. Justified in in every wrong doing by the grace of God. Sorry, I have a bad taste in my mouth. I brought it up to Mom recently and now im taking my lashings. My Dad and I shared a Home Depot Credit card which he now claims he knew nothing about and is playing the injured victim. Its been open for 4 years, paid off 3 times, never a late payment and never less than $100 payments. So, because im a poor, divorced, single mother, trying to go to school and run my own buisness; I will lose in the end, I always do, I should have known better than to ruffle any feathers.

Back to answering your responses: How much? I think its only about $10,000. Did Mom go through it? No, Mom made money on my money. How much would I be willing to spend to teach Mom? ALL OF IT!!! I would sell everything I own if there was a chance she would not come out smelling like a rose in the end. But its not enough money to worry about, and im just a poor shmuck.

I was thinking about selling my home and going to Porta Rico. However, I purchased it during my divorce and titled the home in my Dad's name and now he won't give it to me. I know, im pathetic! I can't believe it myself! I need a psychiatrist not an attorney.

Buying an insurance policy on her life is a good idea. Kinda like winning in the end. I'll look into that!!

Thank you very much for your responses. It was great to be able to tell someone without them thinking I was being selfish. I will try and get the will. I will check on statue of limitation. Most likely I will suck it up, put my tail between my legs and hide in the dark. But, I will try first. Anyone want to go to the beach?

[email protected]

Dandy Don

If you put up the money for the purchase of your home, then see a real estate attorney and find out how you can get the title put back into your name. If father didn't pay anything on it, the transaction can be reversed and corrected. Aren't you glad you found this message board???

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">