• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interim payment of bequest monies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sharon1961

I have received an offer of an interim payment from the estate of a distant relative. I have also been asked to sign an indemnity form.
In signing this may it affect my claim to further payments which I have been led to believe may arise at a later date ?
HELP !!!

Sharon

Dandy Don

Received an offer from who? Have you looked at the will to see if you are named as a beneficiary and found out exactly what you are eligible to receive?

Sharon1961

The offer is from a firm of solicitors who are tracking down all bloodline relations as I assume he died without any will or direct relations.

Sharon1961

Well pardon me !
When I registered on this site I was asked to enter 00000 if I was outside the USA, which I did. This gave me the impression that it was OK to post on the site, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
Anyway thanks for your help shycat **************. NOT

Dandy Don

Why would they be offering you a payment? How much are they offering you? What are the total fees they will be charging you for their services, if any? Are they doing research to locate other relatives who might have a claim for this estate?

If I were you I would not sign the indemnity form until you have first talked to a probate attorney who practices in the same city where the estate is being probated. You should be contacting the inheritance court to order a copy of the probate file to see exactly what has been done up until now AND hiring a probate attorney for purposes of consultation to see whether it would be wise to sign the indemnity form or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">