• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intestate Community Property Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LacrosseMom

What is the name of your state? Arizona

My FatherInLaw (FIL) recently passed away in Arizona, apparently intestate.

My FIL had several bank accounts held in 'his name only.'

But, my FIL also had several bank accounts where both his name and my MILs name were listed. These were the accounts - 'she' paid the family bills from and wrote checks.

It it safe to assume that all bank accounts with both husband and wife listed are held joint tenant with right of survivorship? If so, can she continue to use these funds as she sees fit. My MIL believes that the bank accounts with 'her' name on them are her money and she can do with them what she likes.

I'm concerned that they may be part of the 'community property' and therefore subject to probate and distribution (in part) to the children from his other mairrage.

Also - Along the same lines, it is safe to assume that the surviving spouse get to keep all the 'stuff' in the house - or does it have to be inventoried and divied up while she's still alive?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">