• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Justice for Mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liamsmommy

What is the name of your state? California.
My grandmother recently died and my uncle is the executor on her will. My problem is this; it is to be divided evenly by 4 children, including my mother who was deceased in 2002. My uncle says that my mother forfeited her inheiratence when she died and that her fourth will be split between the remaining 3 children. Shouldn't my mothers half go to her children? :confused:

Indiana Filer

liamsmommy said:
What is the name of your state? California.
My grandmother recently died and my uncle is the executor on her will. My problem is this; it is to be divided evenly by 4 children, including my mother who was deceased in 2002. My uncle says that my mother forfeited her inheiratence when she died and that her fourth will be split between the remaining 3 children. Shouldn't my mothers half go to her children? :confused:
It depends on how your grandmother's will was worded. Do you have a copy of the will so that you can tell the experts on here what the will says?

liamsmommy

Have will

yes, I do have a copy of the will. I do not see anything that states yes or no to heirs or grandchildren in our case.

Dandy Don

A probate attorney will have to look at the language used in the will. If the phrase per stirpes is used then the money can be distributed to a decedent's children--if the phrase is not used it is less likely that that will happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">