• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land squatter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marlperr

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I am 1/8 owner of a parcel of undivided property. One of our siblings has moved a house onto the property complete with septic system, water hook-up and electricity without permission of the other seven. What is our recourse in this matter? Can we have them evicted? They insist they have "squatters rights". Do we have ownership of any improvements this person has made onto our property? How long do we have before they actually do have squatters rights?

We probably wouldn't care about them being there, but they are trying to influence our mother to evict one of our other siblings from a home my mother owns. It sure would be nice to use this "squatter" issue as leverage to get them off his back.

Thanks for the assistance
MP

JETX

I am 1/8 owner of a parcel of undivided property.
Okay, so you own 12.5% of the overall property.

What is our recourse in this matter? Can we have them evicted?
That depends on what you mean by 'our'. Do ALL the other owners agree with you?? Are the other owners willing to spend the money needed for an attorney to pursue this matter?

They insist they have "squatters rights".
Not true. They have no more, nor less, rights of possession as you do. 'Squatters rights' (even if it were a valid claim) has to do with NO legal ownership but still 'squatting' on the property owned by someone else.

nextwife

If you merely want to get your money out of the place, rather than hold onto it, a less costly solution may be a partition suit. The land is undivided. The entire property would need to be sold for the total value of all the land , including the house and mound system that was put there without the agreement of the other owners.. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">