• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anumk1

What is the name of your state? CA

My Attorney just gave me a retainer agreement to sign. Within that agreement she is requesting " The Statutory fees contained in the probate code plus 25% of the recovery due to you in monetary expression". I thought the courts have a set guideline for attorney fees? Can someone please explain me to if this is correct?

Dandy Don

So are you hiring her to only be an executor of an estate or will you need legal counsel regarding other probate matters?

What is the value of the estate and have you shopped around with other attorneys to get other fee quotes?

S

seniorjudge

anumk1 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My Attorney just gave me a retainer agreement to sign. Within that agreement she is requesting " The Statutory fees contained in the probate code plus 25% of the recovery due to you in monetary expression". I thought the courts have a set guideline for attorney fees? Can someone please explain me to if this is correct?
The courts do generally have statutory guidelines for probate costs. If the lawyer wants more than the statutory minimum, then the usual way is for the court to approve anything above and beyond the normal fee.

You apparently are having problems with this attorney in the explanation of the lawyer's fees. If you are not satisfied with the explanation that the attorney gives you, do not sign the agreement and find another lawyer.

anumk1

Dandy Don said:
So are you hiring her to only be an executor of an estate or will you need legal counsel regarding other probate matters?
I have hired her for only an executor for one estate.

What is the value of the estate and have you shopped around with other attorneys to get other fee quotes?
he value is only around $200,000 - $300,000

T

Dandy Don

You did not answer the other question--are you hiring her to only be executor or will counsel/advice also be needed about other estate matters?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">