• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left out of the will and other messy stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clarkxbar4

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL
Thank you for your time.

Background: My father passed away this year (mom already passed away). I have 2 older sisters. It turns out that they are co-executors/trustee's of Dad's estate -- their two daughters are to divide whatever is left after funeral expenses etc...

I am not mentioned in the will.

The will was made out in 1990 during a time when I was estranged from my family (because my husband and I eloped, causing quite the stir). We had made amends and had a good relationship after.

Dad never changed his will.
I was shocked and a bit hurt.

The other mess (and what I need advice about): My husband and I had entered a contract with my parents to buy their home in 1993. It is to be paid off in Jan. of this year.
My sisters dispute the amount owed. Dad's records are sketchy -- and so are ours.
They now want to sit down and compare records to see what is owed. I know we have made every payment, with 6 more to go. We just didn't keep good records. (Yes..yes...dumb.)

Do I have to prove what we've paid? Not all payments were made with checks. There was a time after Mom died that Dad asked us to make payments in cash.

Now, we are afraid that my sisters will try to take our home away.

Any thoughts? How should this be handled?

TIA,
Melanie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">