• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal right to family photos, keepsakes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andtheseasons

What is the name of your state? California
My mother's aunt recently died. She had no children. Her house is filled with many family photos, keepsakes, etc...as my great-grandmother lived in the same house. The aunt's will states that everything be left to her live-in boyfriend of 40+ years. He is still alive but in a rest home in another state and will not take any phone calls. The house remains here in California with everything still in it. My mother went to the probate court to make a claim, but the judge said there was nothing he could do. How can this be? Is there anything legal we can do to get at least the photos? I just know these things will be dumped someday by people they mean nothing to....
Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

Although there is a much more qualified poster here familiar with California Probate law, this is really a very simple concept.

The judge is correct. Nothing can be done outside of the will. Obviously your nother's aunt made her wishes known in the form of a legally binding will and the boyfriend is under no moral or legal obligation to do other than what is stipulated in the will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">