• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letters Of Testamentary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daves

What is the name of your state?california

I am the Personal Rep for my Mother's estate in South Carolina. I open an estate account there and use it to pay bills that came in after her death. I want to open a money market account here in California to deposit checks made out to her estate for the sale of her house and assets and earn some interest until probate ends in July. The local bank said I need a letter of testamentary from the local court. Is this something I can do or do I need to see a lawyer and also pay probate fees all over again?

Thanks

seniorjudge

Daves said:
What is the name of your state?california

I am the Personal Rep for my Mother's estate in South Carolina. I open an estate account there and use it to pay bills that came in after her death. I want to open a money market account here in California to deposit checks made out to her estate for the sale of her house and assets and earn some interest until probate ends in July. The local bank said I need a letter of testamentary from the local court. Is this something I can do or do I need to see a lawyer and also pay probate fees all over again?

Thanks
It is letters testamentary and this is lawyer gobbledygook for the probate court's order showing that you are the personal representative of the dead person's estate.

Go to the court where the probate is going on and get a certified copy of the order and then show it to the bank.

Daves

Letters Testamentary

I have taken the Certificate Of Appointment from the South Carolina Probate Court to the local bank but they re insist I need a letter testamentary from the California Court. Seems like a double wammy to me and I don't want to pay another probate fee and the hassel of filling out the form if its not really required. Not sure what I can do about it but maybe just send the checks back to the estate account I set up in SC?

seniorjudge

Daves said:
I have taken the Certificate Of Appointment from the South Carolina Probate Court to the local bank but they re insist I need a letter testamentary from the California Court. Seems like a double wammy to me and I don't want to pay another probate fee and the hassel of filling out the form if its not really required. Not sure what I can do about it but maybe just send the checks back to the estate account I set up in SC?
It sounds like the bank wants you to set up an ancillary probate estate in California which is nothing but time and trouble (not to mention money).

If there is any way you could operate just with a South Carolina bank, that is what I would do.

Your call....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">