• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance beneficiary liable for funeral expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prairietales

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Oklahoma
Shortly after my mothers death I received 2500.00, 1/2 of a term life insurance policy provided by the state retirement board to all retired state employees. My half brother informed the funeral home that I would be paying half of the bill, even though there is no telling how much insurance he had purchased with her power of attorney since her incapacity due to Altziemers and a stroke in 1999. He admitted to having 3 policies on her at the funeral home before the funeral .Now he is harrassing my aunt telling her that I "better" get that bill paid. This is my question- This life insurance benefit was made out to me, I did not have any part in any of the funeral arrangements, and she did not have a will. Other than 1000.00 dollars in a joint checking account in my brothers and mothers name and some antiques and other personal belongings that my brother has already sold in a yard sale, all there was , was the insurance money. Am I liable for this bill?

Dandy Don

How much is the funeral bill?

Brother had no business telling funeral home that you would pay, and funeral home was stupider for even believing it. Pay half of the bill and tell funeral home that brother will pay the other half.

Some Random Guy

He was the beneficiary of 3 policies. He liquidated her estate and presumably kept the money. He made the funeral arrangements. So he should pay the funeral expenses out of the estate's money.

When the estate his no more money, he should look for family members for help, starting with those that received the most insurance payouts. That would be himself.

ladybg1

did you sign anything with the funeral director accepting responsibility for part of the bill ? I don't think someone else can incur a debt for you or just "tell" a business that you will pay part of the bill

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">