• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living with significant other

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjmess53

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

First of all, I don't even know if there is such a thing as "common law" in this state. However, I am 52 and my significant other is 62. We have been together since 1996. Do I have any rights without it being put on paper? At present he doesn't have a NC will. He had a NY will in 1996 prior to us moving here but hasn't done anything about it. In that will he states " my home and all its contents go to the person I am living with at the time of my death." Is that good enough? Also, if he does pass away prior to making a NC will, will I be entitled to his estate? He has a younger sister and a step son that he sees and keeps in contact with. Any thoughts?

rmet4nzkx

The 1996 will would still be in effect. Are you included in the 1996 will? If not, you may both want to make new wills and other directives while you are both healthy and of sound mind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">