+ Reply to Thread
    cjmess53 is offline Junior Member

Living with significant other

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

First of all, I don't even know if there is such a thing as "common law" in this state. However, I am 52 and my significant other is 62. We have been together since 1996. Do I have any rights without it being put on paper? At present he doesn't have a NC will. He had a NY will in 1996 prior to us moving here but hasn't done anything about it. In that will he states " my home and all its contents go to the person I am living with at the time of my death." Is that good enough? Also, if he does pass away prior to making a NC will, will I be entitled to his estate? He has a younger sister and a step son that he sees and keeps in contact with. Any thoughts?
    rmet4nzkx is offline Senior Member
    The 1996 will would still be in effect. Are you included in the 1996 will? If not, you may both want to make new wills and other directives while you are both healthy and of sound mind.

Similar Threads

1. Significant other???
    By scottandkristy2 in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 03:09 PM
  2. Significant other
    By sjs415 in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 06:41 AM
  3. Significant Other Won't Leave
    By drama_free5472 in forum Other Real Estate Law Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 12:47 PM
  4. Evicting a significant other
    By MzLizz in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 11:34 AM
  5. TX-Living Trust w/significant other
    By Bestway in forum Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning