• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loaned money to a friend who is dying. How to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rubicon1020

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA. A decade-long friend of mine recently was diagonosed with cancer, and called me for financial help for alternative therapy treatments. I sent her a check for $1000 three weeks ago. Unfortunately, the cancer spread fast, and she is in the hospital on her death bed, in a drug induced unconciousness. (And unlikely to regain it before she dies.) She has no will, no designated legal power of attorney (just one for medical decisions), no family other than a remote cousin, and probably no money, just possessions. I can produce the cancelled check to prove I gave her the money, but no other proof, that if was a loan; nothing in writing, no IOU, or anything. Can I make a claim to probate? Should I discuss this with her cousin, and hope he'll be reasonable? And I feel terrible about discussing this with any one during the last few days that she's still alive. I may discuss this with people gathered at her memorial service after her death. It will be the only time I'll see her associates, whom I otherwise do not know. Any suggestions?

HomeGuru

rubicon1020 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA. A decade-long friend of mine recently was diagonosed with cancer, and called me for financial help for alternative therapy treatments. I sent her a check for $1000 three weeks ago. Unfortunately, the cancer spread fast, and she is in the hospital on her death bed, in a drug induced unconciousness. (And unlikely to regain it before she dies.) She has no will, no designated legal power of attorney (just one for medical decisions), no family other than a remote cousin, and probably no money, just possessions. I can produce the cancelled check to prove I gave her the money, but no other proof, that if was a loan; nothing in writing, no IOU, or anything. Can I make a claim to probate? Should I discuss this with her cousin, and hope he'll be reasonable? And I feel terrible about discussing this with any one during the last few days that she's still alive. I may discuss this with people gathered at her memorial service after her death. It will be the only time I'll see her associates, whom I otherwise do not know. Any suggestions?
**A: file to have the loan repaid in probate. So not discuss this matter at her memorial service.

Dandy Don

Wait 30 days to see if anyone files at the county courthouse probate court to be her administrator (and then file a claim with the administrator), but that is most unlikely if you say she doesn't have much of any assets. Just chalk it up to needed assistance that you gave to a dying friend--you will be rewarded in heaven for doing such.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">