• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Locating a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stm8ter

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am trying to find out how to locate a will. I have a relative who lived in Indiana, he has since past. Before he past away he informed several family members of his will. Unfortunatly I do not know his attorney's name. Is a will registered in Indiana at the time it was drafted? Is it registered after death by the attorney? The person who was designated as the executor does NOT have a copy of the will, and does not know who the Attorney was that drafted the will. Would the Indiana Staes Attorney have any record of this? Please let me know where can I start to look for any information?
:confused:

lwpat

Wills are not filed as are deeds so there is no place that you can check if it cannot be found. I recommend that you have your attorney and accountant keep originals in case a family member decides to "dispose" of the will. You would be surprised how often that happens.

Someone could check his bank records to see if there were any checks to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">