• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

married 9/23 widowed 10/6

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chalan

:confused:In Ohio - 50+ female widow as of 10/6. married on 9/23. lived as if married since 5/2008.very confused. husband killed in motorcycle vs jeep. wrongful death suit filed. 3 stepkids, ages 31, 20 & 17. The 20yr.old very self-centered & disrespects my wishes to stay away from me. he lives close by. he is very creepy to me. just ignores me due to 17yr.old son lives with me & 31yr.old lives in my former residence. do not want to file restraining order against 20yr old--do not want to divide family. other family members & close friends support me but no one stands up to crazy son other than me. what should I do to finally put an end to his constant bothering/ignoring me. what can I do to protect myself with residential property of mine&husbands from kids thinking they have a right to what him & I paid for?

JETX

lived as if married since 5/2008.
Not relevant.

The 20yr.old very self-centered & disrespects my wishes to stay away from me. do not want to file restraining order against 20yr old--do not want to divide family. other family members & close friends support me but no one stands up to crazy son other than me. what should I do to finally put an end to his constant bothering/ignoring me.
You have to make a choice, you can't have it both ways:
1) Take legal actions as needed, or
2) Get along with family.

what can I do to protect myself with residential property of mine&husbands from kids thinking they have a right to what him & I paid for?
First thing you need to do is to get to a local probate attorney. He can be the 'intermediary' in the family issues. Simply refuse ANYONE (including yourself) trying to take possession of, or make claims on, anything that was his... directly or indirectly.
Simply refer everyone to the 'attorney' if/when they try to claim anything. Let the attorney handle EVERYTHING. Find his will, if one, and give it to the attorney.

Start doing a DETAILED inventory of EVERYTHING that he owned. Videotape everything!! Get copies of ALL titles (land, vehicles, etc.). Get copies of ALL insurance documents. Contact the bank and notify them of his death to protect any claims on his accounts.

H

hopekendrick

married and widowed

That is hard to say. But I would be going to the probate office really quick like, and see if he had a will. if not then everything would possibly go to his children, unless the house is in your name and his. I am not sure, It's sticky. You wasnt married to him long even though you were together a year or more. They will get a good portion of the lawsuit though. It depends on if your state has common law marriage. Mine doesnt. Alot of states dont. I mean my dad got remarried after my mom died, n something similar as to this, but he got divorced from her after a year, 12 years later when he died, he had left her as a beneficiary to his pension plan, and she got all 12,000. but, he kept his house and she kept hers. When it come s to beneficiaries on anything, thats who gets the money and no one can un do that. Why don't do you move into your own residence and let the 31 year old have her dads house, unless you have money in this. You have a very bad problem on your hands. I would first go to the probate court and see what they say, and then get a lawyer for estates. I am sure that all of you are in the grieving state right now, and that's alot to deal with in itself. Believe me I had to bury dad one day and be at the court house two days later and get everything done, so his sisters couldnt steal my mom and dads house that they worked for all their lives. Where is is his first wife at? She could have a part in this whole thing also. I would get the lawyer and all sit down together and talk it out.

JETX

That is hard to say. But I would be going to the probate office really quick like, and see if he had a will.
110% CRAP!
Probate offices don't keep wills.

if not then everything would possibly go to his children, unless the house is in your name and his.
MORE CRAP!!!
Intestate laws say otherwise.

I am not sure
Obviously!!
If you are so ignorant of the laws... why did you waste the OP's time (and yours) by even thinking your post was of benefit??

I won't waste MY time by even responding to the rest of your incorrect spittle and droolings.

Last edited:

anteater

Ohio is one of the states that does provide for deposit of a will by the testator with the probate court.

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

Ohio is one of the states that does provide for deposit of a will by the testator with the probate court.
Agreed...

His subsequent post (also deleted) clearly shows that he is confusing FILING a probate case (which does cost money), with his earlier INCORRECT post that the OP could got "to the probate office really quick like, and see if he had a will" and that "if not then everything would possibly go to his children, unless the house is in your name and his."

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">