• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emin1952

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My father died on April 1st 2004. He was in a nursing home from 12-31-03 til 4-1-04. My brother and I have power of attorney. All his bills have been paid except for the nursing home. As of today the insurance company said the claim would be denied due to past timely processing....its been a year. The insurance company did pay for one month of his stay but the other 2 months have been denied due to the nursing homes billing procedure. I have never recieved a bill or a statement from this nursing home except for a couple of suspicious phone calls asking me to sign papers for which the insurance company told me not to sign. What are our legal right as far as timely billing goes. Even the one month that insurance paid for....i have still not recieved a bill for that co-pay of 550 dollars only the EOB from the insurance company. How long does such an institution have to bill and when does my responsability end. Thank you :eek:

S

seniorjudge

My father died on April 1st 2004. He was in a nursing home from 12-31-03 til 4-1-04. My brother and I have power of attorney.

The POA died with your father and is no longer effective.

All his bills have been paid except for the nursing home. As of today the insurance company said the claim would be denied due to past timely processing....its been a year.

That's no excuse; keep after them till it is paid.

The insurance company did pay for one month of his stay but the other 2 months have been denied due to the nursing homes billing procedure. I have never recieved a bill or a statement from this nursing home except for a couple of suspicious phone calls asking me to sign papers for which the insurance company told me not to sign.

Correct; the nursing home is wanting you to assume liability. Don't do it.

What are our legal right as far as timely billing goes. Even the one month that insurance paid for....i have still not recieved a bill for that co-pay of 550 dollars only the EOB from the insurance company. How long does such an institution have to bill and when does my responsability end.

Unless you have agreed to pay the nursing home bill, you have never had any responsibility. Get after that insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">