• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

margarethartley

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband died four months ago of brain and lung cancer. he was 44 years old. We had no medical insurance or life insurance and when he died we had no assets. Currently I have less than a thousand dollars in the bank.

I have two major hospital bills, one for 13 thousand dollars and one for 17 thousand dollars. I have contacted one hospital and they have told me that I have to make payments of 240.00 a month to pay off their bill. They have also said that they cant go any lower because they already lowered the bill by 50 %. I have not spoken to the other hospital but they keep sending the bills that were for my husbands treatment in my name and not his even though I never told them I was his guarantor. As his wife am I legally obligated to pay for these bills and what do I do if I can not pay for them. I have told the first hospital that I only make 8.70 an hour and cannot afford to pay as much as they want me to pay and all they have done is to turn the bill over to a collection agency. I also have been looking on the internet and have seen sites that lead me to believe that if the estate is insolvent that they cannot collect from me. Could you please advise me. We were both out of work when this happened and chemo is very expensive. I just do not know what to do. We were both not working at the time of his treatments and did not receive any assistance for months. Please help me.

Thank You So Much
Margaret:confused:What is the name of your state?

pojo2

When he entered th hospital did you sign any paperwork? Did it include a section as to who would pay the bills since there was NO insurance?

I rarely make this statement and loathe the words but you could file bankruptcy or threaten this action (but only if you are prepared to follow through) if they do not simply write the bills off.

I also have been looking on the internet and have seen sites that lead me to believe that if the estate is insolvent that they cannot collect from me

Maybe, maybe not it depends on what you signed on each of those hospital visits.

GaAtty

I also agree that it depends on what you signed. The estate IS responsible, but ONLY if he himself signed for the bill and agreed to be responsible for it. Bankruptcy is an option, and it may sound bad, but my firm does them, and I can say that a large percent come from unexpected, uninsured health care costs like these, particularly from the elderly. You would certainly not be the first or only one to do so.

Denise Stoesser

The hospital and collection agency are going to tag your credit whether you make payments or not. AND WHETHER YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE OR NOT. Its work and constant work to keep it clean. You had no insurance. Which means you missed your payment to the mafia! File bankruptycy. Have no guilt. You did nothing wrong. Its okay for Kmart and Fredricks of Hollywood to do it. But, when the average joe has the wolves beatin down his door; God forbid he, oh I hate to shutter the words, file bankruptcy. If you have the money in the bank invest it on your future, FILE NOW!! While you still can. DONT WAIT ANOTHER SECOND!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">