• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bills Of Deceased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VIPERCANE

What is the name of your state?Hi! We are in Florida and wanted to know some answers to a few questions that have arose. My mother-in-law recently passed on after a bout with liver cancer.
1) Before she passed on, we went ahead and got the property tax bill on her house changed into my wife's name and paid the for the docs/stamps etc with her signing all papers etc. The mortgage is still in her name but we did buy the house for her and actually made all the monthly payments. Have copies of checks to verify we made payments. Question: Is the house protected from all creditors as she did have some outstanding credit card debt at the time of her death? Can the credit card companies place a lien on the house?

2) Also, she did mount up a good amount of medical debt which insurance took care off, with balances still due. Can the hospital/doctors put a lien on the house for payment even though we have changed the tax bill into my wife's name and paid all fees charged for such? There was no will as there was not much to will, and my wife is the only daughter etc. Is the house open game to these medical companies? If so, what do we need to do to protect such? Also, can the medical companies come after us for payment?

How does one come to acquire an estate of a deceased? Is this automatic or documents have to be filed to do such? Did we automatically acquire her estate and become liable for all her debt?

What can we do to further protect ourselves from any of her credit card and medical debt?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much.

:confused:

BlondiePB

VIPERCANE said:
What is the name of your state?Hi! We are in Florida and wanted to know some answers to a few questions that have arose. My mother-in-law recently passed on after a bout with liver cancer.
1) Before she passed on, we went ahead and got the property tax bill on her house changed into my wife's name and paid the for the docs/stamps etc with her signing all papers etc. The mortgage is still in her name but we did buy the house for her and actually made all the monthly payments. Have copies of checks to verify we made payments. Question: Is the house protected from all creditors as she did have some outstanding credit card debt at the time of her death? Can the credit card companies place a lien on the house?

2) Also, she did mount up a good amount of medical debt which insurance took care off, with balances still due. Can the hospital/doctors put a lien on the house for payment even though we have changed the tax bill into my wife's name and paid all fees charged for such? There was no will as there was not much to will, and my wife is the only daughter etc. Is the house open game to these medical companies? If so, what do we need to do to protect such? Also, can the medical companies come after us for payment?

How does one come to acquire an estate of a deceased? Is this automatic or documents have to be filed to do such? Did we automatically acquire her estate and become liable for all her debt?

What can we do to further protect ourselves from any of her credit card and medical debt?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much.

:confused:
Is the deed to your MIL's home still titled in her name? If not, how long ago was it changed prior to her passing?

VIPERCANE

Hi Blondie! We filed a quitclaim deed transferring all the rights, title, interest and claim on the property on April 1st of 2005 and she passed away on May 13, 2005. The fees and recording by the Clerk of the Circuit Court was done the same day. I hope this is the answer you are looking for. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

BlondiePB

VIPERCANE said:
Hi Blondie! We filed a quitclaim deed transferring all the rights, title, interest and claim on the property on April 1st of 2005 and she passed away on May 13, 2005. The fees and recording by the Clerk of the Circuit Court was done the same day. I hope this is the answer you are looking for. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
Due to the timing of the quit claim and the death, if the creditors "deem" that this transaction was done in order to "stiff" them, y'all could be looking at a fraudulent transfer. Unless you signed papers making yourself guarantor of the bills, you are not responsible for them -- the estate is responsible for the bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">