• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bills of Deceased Father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atkihew

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Our dad passed away 3 months ago. He has a will, owned his house soley & completely, and only had medical bills as debtors. My brother is the executor, and is saying that my dads attorney says his medical bills HAVE to be paid before the house can transfer ownership and be sold. My brother is planning on taking out a loan to pay my dads medical bills. I thought my dads house (his estate?) could be sold to pay debtors, & attorney fees. What if my brother cant get a loan? Will the house just sit without an owner forever?
I also thought medical bills couldn't be inheirted, so how does this all work?

lwpat

State law dictates the order in which the debts of the deceased are to be paid. The debts belong to the estate and are not "inherited". This means that if the assests of the estate are not sufficient to pay the debts then the debts are not the responsibility of the heirs.

The house can be sold to pay the medical bills. Does your brother intend to keep the house?

atkihew

Yes, my brother is going to sell the house. We had assumed my dads medical bills would be paid with the proceeds from the sale of the house, but my dads attorney has my brother under the impression that the medical bills HAVE to be paid before we can sell the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">