• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Messy estate; how to find a good and fair lawyer.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sintryne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland is where my grandparents are. I live in Ct.

Here's the set up- my mom died when I was seven and her sister died three years later, she had one daughter. Due to dysfunction I've mostly lost track of mom's side of the family. I find out tonight that my mom's father died last August and my mom's mom was just found dead on Monday and has been so at least a month. Since both grandparents are dead and all of their children are dead it would be my brother, my cousin, and myself. My grandmother did not have a will and it is believed that my grandfather didn't either (no proof either way), but here is where it gets tricky. He has been married to my grandmother all these years but living with another woman, while visiting my grandmother and taking care of her home situation. This other woman did not tell anyone he died and through hearsay a third party told me she saw his death certificate and that the other woman lied and put he wasn't married on there. My grandmother has a house in her name that will need to be dealt with and my grandfather has a home with his and his girlfriend's name on it and various assets that I have no idea whose name they are in. He may have other things like life insurance, and stocks, I have no idea. He also sold a business a few years ago. We don't know if this woman has settled his estate at all, paid taxes or anything. She is still continuing to live with all of his stuff. My grandmother, his wife, also wished to be buried beside my grandfather, but it seems this other woman wants this also. So in short I need to find a good estate lawyer to investigate all this in Maryland. When you don't know lawyers how do you find a good one? Is there a website where lawyers are rated? How do we make sure we don't over pay in legal fees? How much will we expect to pay in legal fees? Any advice? I really appreciate your help.

TigerD

Ratings can be gamed and frequently are.

Try the bar referral service, or the find a lawyer tab here, or ask your lawyer if he can refer you to someone in Maryland.

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">