• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing beneficiary/will and insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalprobate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
I am the PR for my sibling's estate. Her daughter is included in the will for residuary estate. There are also life insurance policies listing her daughter as primary and me as secondary beneficiaries and others with her listed only as the beneficiary. The daughter has been missing for seven years. I have her SS#. What do I need to do? Are the policies considered residuary estate? They are not included in the will as such.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

What efforts have you made to find the missing beneficiary? Since you have the SSN, have you tried the Social Security Death Index?

http://www.deathindexes.com/ssdi.html

As the estate's PR, you need to make reasonable efforts to find the missing beneficiary. If you have made those efforts and still can not locate her, then ask the probate court for instructions. I don't know Colorado specifically, but most likely the missing beneficiary's inheritance would be placed in some sort of restricted account or turned over to the state as unclaimed property.

Have you called the life insurance companies?

Dandy Don

They are not part of a residuary estate. You can delay claiming these policies until you have made an official effort to locate her. I do locates if you are interested, with state-of-the-art databases. After a search is done you will get a definitive answer as to whether she is alive or not, and you may also want to post a classified ad/legal notice in the major newspaper of the last city she was known to have lived in so that she or someone who knew her may be able to provide helpful information about her whereabouts. After she or her heirs have been located, they can do the necessary paperwork to claim these policies.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">