• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom spends all of inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hi my father passed away when I was a minor and he left me and my brother all of his estate life insurance etc. We were going through the process of her becoming guardian of my estate but i don't think it ever happened because everything settled so fast. She got my life insurance and the lawyer had me sign a check for the estate money to her. She spent all the money put a down payment on a house which is now going into foreclosure. The thing is she has no money. She is expecting a social security back payment check. Am I able to sue for that. Did the lawyer do anything wrong? This all happened when i was 16, I never agreed to my inheritance being spent. My mom was getting more then enough in S.S. death benefits. Am I able to do anything, or am I screwed

LdiJ

Hi my father passed away when I was a minor and he left me and my brother all of his estate life insurance etc. We were going through the process of her becoming guardian of my estate but i don't think it ever happened because everything settled so fast. She got my life insurance and the lawyer had me sign a check for the estate money to her. She spent all the money put a down payment on a house which is now going into foreclosure. The thing is she has no money. She is expecting a social security back payment check. Am I able to sue for that. Did the lawyer do anything wrong? This all happened when i was 16, I never agreed to my inheritance being spent. My mom was getting more then enough in S.S. death benefits. Am I able to do anything, or am I screwed
How much life insurance did your father have? That is actually very relevant because if it was fairly small, the costs of litigating anything could outweigh the benefits. There are other factors that could matter as well, based on how much money we are talking about.

How much life insurance did your father have? That is actually very relevant because if it was fairly small, the costs of litigating anything could outweigh the benefits. There are other factors that could matter as well, based on how much money we are talking about.
over 100 thousand all together plus she was receiving 1600 a month from social security death benefits which i think was more then sufficient with the life I lived after he passed.

Also does any one know if you can sue for someones S.S. benefits. Also is it possible the lawyer could have done anything wrong, like giving my mom the money when he should of put it in an account. He thought I was 18 when the estate settles which was about 50,000 and he was ready to give me the check. Then my mom told him I was 17 and he had me sign it over to her. I am so mad at this situation. I feel like there is nothing I can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">