• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eagle 1

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma/Michiga :mad: My father passed away amost 2 years ago. He named me as beneficiary of most of the money things. I used most of what was left me to take care of my fathers house and bills until it was sold. I live in Oklahoma but my family and father lived in MI. We gave my sister POA (regretably now). Well we finally sold my fathers house. My sister has since given herself and my other 2 brothers the money gained from the sale. She has not sent me my share. My calls are being ignored. It has come to my attention that she never had any intention of sending me the money. She feels that she is owed money from my dad's 401k. I am letting it sit there and gain interest. It has done quite well since my fathers death. I need to know what i should now to get the money owed? I breifly googled the term "conversion of funds". It stated that it was a felony. Is this correct? There is still a matter of money that she didn't bother to tell me about. But have since found out she has/have/had in her possesion. I have had a responce on here in the att. part but they want 3000.00 to continue. Thats half of what I am owed.

Dandy Don

So have you checked with the company holding the 401K money to find out if your father filled out a beneficiary designation form that named specific beneficiaries, or did he forget to do that and consequently the money goes into his estate? Why wasn't this money put into the estate as an asset to be divvied up? It looks a bit suspicious that you withheld this money, and sis probably thinks YOU are trying to steal it.

You need to find out for sure whether sis is a beneficiary or not so you can tell her that she is or is not a beneficiary.

If she is not a beneficiary, then she has no basis for withholding your money and you will probably have to sue to get it if she has not set it aside temporarily.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">