• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother deceased - no will/no assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tsbjax

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Hello,

My mother recently passed away. She had no will, but had named me as her Power of Attorney and Health Care Power of Attorney. She really has no assets - she has $200 in her bank account, she rented her apartment, did not own her car, etc. She was disabled and had no life or major health insurance (she was on Medicare due to disability)...she had also declared bankruptcy several years ago, and the income she received was from social security disability.

What do I do about hospital bills that are coming in? I never signed anything saying that I would be responsible for payment. Also, her car was financed. What is the best way to deal with that? No other family member wants it, as she owed more than it was worth.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

seniorjudge

tsbjax said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Hello,

My mother recently passed away. She had no will, but had named me as her Power of Attorney and Health Care Power of Attorney. She really has no assets - she has $200 in her bank account, she rented her apartment, did not own her car, etc. She was disabled and had no life or major health insurance (she was on Medicare due to disability)...she had also declared bankruptcy several years ago, and the income she received was from social security disability.

What do I do about hospital bills that are coming in? I never signed anything saying that I would be responsible for payment. Also, her car was financed. What is the best way to deal with that? No other family member wants it, as she owed more than it was worth.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=262405

Q: What do I do about hospital bills that are coming in?

A: Ignore them and do not talk to creditors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">