• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother died intestate, no property in the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tritech

What is the name of your state? new york

my mother died intestate a few years ago in new york, and my father also passed away a few years before that. i currently reside in north carolina. no probate has been filed on my mother, as all account were put into a trust for me by my grandmother while she was in the hospital. all of these account i now have access to, and are in my name.

my question lies in several accounts in europe, that are still in my mothers name, and have a significant amount in them. do i have to apply for probate in new york and notify them of these funds? or is there a way to prove to the banks overseas that i am the only descendant, and rightful owner?

A

absconder

INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE is the people youll need to be talking to.

tritech

sorry, should have been more specific. i have all the funds that were in the us at the time of her death available to me now. however the funds overseas i do not. i have all account info, and have contacted them and they said i need a "will", which there was not one at the time of her death.

i realize once i have access to the fund then i will need to see about the taxability of the funds, (some are in us $ and some in euros) but for now i just would like to transfer the accounts over to my name, and leave them in the current country.

Dandy Don

Ask each bank what their procedure is. Yes, filing for probate is needed in New York, so that testamentary letter can be issued to administrator, who can then present a certified copy of that letter to each bank, or each bank might request probate in each country, but let's hope they don't go that far.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

tritech said:
What is the name of your state? new york

my mother died intestate a few years ago in new york, and my father also passed away a few years before that. i currently reside in north carolina. no probate has been filed on my mother, as all account were put into a trust for me by my grandmother while she was in the hospital. all of these account i now have access to, and are in my name.

my question lies in several accounts in europe, that are still in my mothers name, and have a significant amount in them. do i have to apply for probate in new york and notify them of these funds? or is there a way to prove to the banks overseas that i am the only descendant, and rightful owner?
This site is for US law only. I doubt that any European court gives a rip what you do here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">