• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother died, it's her house but still my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cuontry girl

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My mother died last week (she owned the house),my 16 year old daughter and I have lived with her since 1999. Moms drafted will dissapeared (never filed), I suspect 1 of my sister ( I have 2) removed it from the home. I was also my mother's caretaker through a long battle with cancer. Mom had set aside money to run the house and pay the morgage for 6 months so I could get back on my feet after her death, the mean sister objects. Mean sister wants to come in the house at any time, unnanounced, wether I'm there or not. Can she do this? I have no objections to her coming in if I'm there. I feel I have the right to be there, it's still my home. Should'nt she have to let me know in advance, or does she have the right to enter wether I'm there or not. Also, my posessions are mingled with my mothers. How do I prove what is mine? My mean sister thinks that everything is/was my mothers! Also, do moms personal items need to be inventoried ? Or only her things of title: house, truck, car,utility trailor?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My mother died last week (she owned the house),my 16 year old daughter and I have lived with her since 1999. Moms drafted will dissapeared (never filed), I suspect 1 of my sister ( I have 2) removed it from the home. I was also my mother's caretaker through a long battle with cancer. Mom had set aside money to run the house and pay the morgage for 6 months so I could get back on my feet after her death, the mean sister objects. Mean sister wants to come in the house at any time, unnanounced, wether I'm there or not. Can she do this? I have no objections to her coming in if I'm there. I feel I have the right to be there, it's still my home. Should'nt she have to let me know in advance, or does she have the right to enter wether I'm there or not. Also, my posessions are mingled with my mothers. How do I prove what is mine? My mean sister thinks that everything is/was my mothers! Also, do moms personal items need to be inventoried ? Or only her things of title: house, truck, car,utility trailor?
Is the home paid for or is there a mortgage? Are there other heirs? Is there no other will?

cuontry girl

Their is a mortgage I have 2 sisters, the one is greedy and wants everything, including sole administrator duties, even though it was mom's wishes that we both be executors. The other sister lives in another state. She is reasonable, she knew of mom's wishes for my daughter and I to stay in the house (bills, mortgage paid) until I get on my feet.

BelizeBreeze

Their is a mortgage I have 2 sisters, the one is greedy and wants everything, including sole administrator duties, even though it was mom's wishes that we both be executors. The other sister lives in another state. She is reasonable, she knew of mom's wishes for my daughter and I to stay in the house (bills, mortgage paid) until I get on my feet.
Well guess what? I'd start making plans to move soon. AND if the sister has not yet filed probate, you can do so. But it sounds as if unless there is a lot of equity in the home, it's not worth the fight.

BlondiePB

Step One: Find out if your sister opened Probate. If not, then open Probate yourself.

Step Two: Try to find receipts, credit card purchases, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">