• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother died left sister and myself then sister died before probate was through

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lucille Ennis

What is the name of your state? California
My Mother had a living trust, but neglected to put her last house on it. My sister and I were joint trusties to the trust and named in the (pour over will) to handle probate. Mom died on Oct.22 2005. My sister died on Jan 31, 2006,prior to probate being finished. Sister died without a will. Sister had husband put on stock accounts and cd account, that were under the living trust. Sister also had a son who has signed away his right of interhertince to his dad. Question is my sister and I had agreed that when probate was finished I would have the option to buy her out of Mom's home and I am living in the home making the mortgage payment. Will the house now have to go through another probate due to my sister's death?

Dandy Don

Apparently you and your sister did not have the advice of a trust attorney, which is who you need to be consulting now.

The purpose of the pour-over will is to retroactively claim any asset that was mistakenly left out of the trust, so only your trust attorney can tell you what you need to do now to get the home titled into the trust.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">