• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother passed away & No will/trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yeah yeah

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

My mother just passed away last week, and didn't have a will. She had a number of things under her name, home (with a current mortgage of ~75k), paid off car, furniture in the home, and an incredible amount of debt. The debt are items that have judgements against her, probably totaling about 30-50k. She was an older lady, where the economy hit her very hard, and she couldn't keep up with the bills. I'm sure this is one of the contributing factors that lead to her early passing. Pretty much, "rob peter to pay paul" situation. She had a life insurance policy for about 50k, which had me and my siblings on there as beneficiaries. I just paid off on the funeral and burial arrangements.

Now, what is the next step to do? Much of the furniture in the home, are priceless family heirlooms that been in the family for a long time. I wanted to gather those items first, and get them out of the house and return them to the family. What happens to the rest? I'm told I need to go to probate court to begin filing.

I am very lost. Any words or anything will assist. Thanks.

yeah yeah

What is the value of the house?
I don't have the county assessment or anything, but going off what she paid for it, and a quick zillow search, I would say between 120-140k. She re-fi'd the house some years ago from a 30 year to a 15 year, and she has about ~75k left.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">