• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother passed w/o will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamez8531

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.
Father passed in 2007. He also had no will. All they owned was a mobile home which was in both their names, still is. We did not know we had to do anything at the time of his death. Mother just passed Dec. 27, 2008. Still leaving the mobile home in both their names. I am my mother's only child. Does it automatically get passed down to me? Also they had nothing else, zip, zilch, nada. Can this be done without probate? I think they may have some leins on it though from prop taxes. Not sure yet. I have little money, and can't afford expensive lawyers. Was going to sell the mobile home if possible, as I cannot afford to keep it. Also what could the mobile home park legally do to me if I do not pay space rent? The home itself is paid for, and maybe if I'm lucky worth 14,000 to 25,000. Not sure. Any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated, as I need to know what my next step is. I am so confused as to what to do? Please help!

jamez8531

Just found a paper

that says they were TENOM. Does this create more of a problem now for me?

Father was previously married some 48 yrs ago and had 4 prev children, who have never contacted him in the past 20-25 yrears.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,
Jamez:mad:

FlyingRon

You can't sell anything until you getthe ownership straightened out. Their debts (those tax liens, rent due) comes out of the estate before anything goes to the heirs. The disposition of the trailer depends on how it was titled originally, but lets assume that it was jointly owned so that Mom got ownership when Dad died. The intestate succession says that it shall be divided across Mom's children. You inherit that property subject to all the liens on it.

You'll have to decide if Mom's debts are going to exceed the potential value of the assets.
You're not liable for anything if you chose not to accept the transfer.

Dad's children from the former marriage (estranged or absent makes no difference) aren't presumably entitled to anything from your Mom's estate. However, if things weren't jointly owned, they would have small shares from Dad's passing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">