• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother won't give me money I got f/Grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DSPGandalf

What is the name of your state? MA. I got $3500 from my grandmother when she died and my mother won't give me the money. She was the exec of the will.

H

Hannah13

Are you 18 or older or are you a juvenile? Perhaps she put it away for you for your education.

BlondiePB

The executor must pay any the decedent's final bills first among other things prior to any money being distributed to heirs.

Dandy Don

Are you saying the money was held in trust for you?

Go to the county courthouse and look at the probate file and get a copy of the will. You need to see if there is any paperwork in the file that shows how your portion of the money was mentioned/handled and if you are specifically mentioned in the will and see if there was enough money left over to distribute after bills were paid. Or talk to a local attorney about how to get your money from your mother.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

dietpepsi10

My brother is executor won't share information

My dad passed away 17 years ago and my brother (executor) never mentioned anything about the will so I asked him two years ago when I had to sell my home due to cancer. He said he thought the original will was lost and that the copy he had was misplaced but he would send me a copy when he found out. I thought this was odd since he's an attorney. But he said all I needed to know that upon our mother's death, the estate would be divided equally among the siblings.

Our mother passed away at the age of 91 about a month ago. I asked him about the will and he said not to expect anything anytime soon. Although our mom had been in a nursing home for almost two years he had kept their home in a resort community and he and my sister stayed there. I never did due to illness. Then he told me a lot of repairs needed to be made--and he hired my sister's husband to do some of the work etc. They also have played golf there over the years my mom has been in the nursing home and I wondered why he kept the house at all.

Anyway, he won't tell me how much they have in assets and what I am entitled to, and will only say it will take a long time because he has to have the house sold. I am in the dark as to how much in assets they have and have asked him but he won't tell me--other than to say that the house would be considered the primary asset.

He is very hard to talk to and I wouldn't push it at all if it weren't for my medical condition. I have two children and it's been tough on them as their father left me after my diagnosis. At any rate, most people thought of my parents as having a bit of money but I have no clue what to expect. Or if I have to the right to see the will or to know. And how would I find out? I am intimidated because my brother's an attorney. He kind of puts me down about my financial situation and said he's concerned to see me "fishing" and it will take time. But he doesn't say how much time etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">