• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mothers estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? georgia.my mother has quite a substantial amount of money from a home sale. she has put my name on both checking accounts and my siblings and i are beneficiaries on an insurance policy she has. we are also listed on her safe deposit box account. she has a few cd's also, she has not put my name or my siblings on those yet. if she lists us as recipients of the cd's and the only other things she has is her personal property in her house, is it necessary to go through probate? also, upon her death, the house she is in reverts to her late husbands children after my sibs and i get her things out. so the house is not an issue of ownership.also, what might i be able to do to make sure that my sibs and i get all of my mothers things out of the house before the late husbands children get in...far as i know, they are simply planning to demolish the house.:confused:What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Q: also, what might i be able to do to make sure that my sibs and i get all of my mothers things out of the house before the late husbands children get in

A: When the time comes, get there as quick as you can.

nikkinmiss

Lol

Q: also, what might i be able to do to make sure that my sibs and i get all of my mothers things out of the house before the late husbands children get in

A: When the time comes, get there as quick as you can.
LOL sometimes I come here just for the quick wit

yea, i know exactly what you mean but i still would like for someone to at least give me even an uneducated guess on my original question about the probate issue..at least then i will have an idea of where i need to go with this from here.

Dandy Don

Is there anything in writing to show that the "house reverts to her late husband's children"? Does she have a last will and testament written and was it prepared with the assistance of an attorney?

Probate will be needed only to handle the real estate matter of who gets the house and to officially transfer title, but all of the other assets pass outside of probate.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

thanks for that info, the house goes to the late husbands children in his will and that is fine, we don't want the house. my main concern is about probate and i kind of figured that since she has named us on all of the "money" accounts that it wouldn't be necessary. i am going to contact the police dept where she lives and check on keeping the "children" out of the house until we can get her things..once again, i appreciate the input and if anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions, i would appreciate it greatly...

seniorjudge

Q: if she lists us as recipients of the cd's and the only other things she has is her personal property in her house, is it necessary to go through probate?

A: No.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">