• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother's Living Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jahna Hershy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?California
My mother has a living trust and has named me as the Successor Trustee. I am also named as my mother's personal representative of her will, DPOA, POA and Conservator. My mother who is 88 yrs old and in hospice lives with my husband and me. She sold her home 4 yrs ago then moved into assisted living prior to coming to live with me. While living in assisted living most of her monies went to rent - she put $75,000 payment upfront then $4000 per month for rent, meals, care, etc. My mother lives on her SS and Pension. y I pay her caregiver 5 days per week while I am working - this aside from Hospice which Medicare pays and the Hospice RN comes for 1/2 hr per week and home health aide to give my mother her bath 3 times per week.

My mother has 1 credit card she had to use prior to living with me - the balance is quite high and I have been trying to work out something with the credit card company since the interst rate is so high (my mother didn't pay for 3 months due to her health). I paid $5000 - leaving a balance due of $10,000.

Now my question: Am I responsible to pay my mother's debt's out of my pocket after she passes although the only monies she will or may have is her monthly SS and Pension benefits. As a side point: When I paid my mother's credit card bill the other day - I deposited monies into her account and then wrote out the check and she signed it.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">