• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my attorney hiding something from us?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

David S

Guys I really appreciate the advice and help!

I got a letter today, the attorney apologized about 5 times and answered a few questions. He says he has now received all paper work he needs.
He says he will now have more time to allocate to the business of the estate and says he will have a letter explaining the assets to be paid or owned by the estate soon.
He says at the end of the 4 months we can file an inheritance tax return and get a non-taxable certificate and that it is received during the 5th or 6th month of the estate administration.

Most of this is what I wanted to know, the issues with the mystery account will be shown here when he gets everything together.

It seems to be working out as it should now, after 4 emails over a 4 week period he now has time to get to work on this.

I suppose I have one last question that relates to something he told me 6 months ago. He said he has the ability to distribute funds at any given time before the end of the 4 month waiting period if he wanted to. He said if he did and a creditor came back he would have to answer to the judge. I would not ask him to do anything that may get him in any sort of trouble as I wouldn't want anyone asking me to do something of that sort.

But since he now has the information could he not file for the non taxable certificate now since it may take 2 months and have it when the 4 month term ran out so that this could be settled and the end of the 4 months rather than waiting an additional 2 months for a simple tax filing?

This would not be such an issue if it had not taken my dad four months to get the paper work to the attorney to have him say it is going to take 4-6 months more. When the paperwork was already prepared and ready to go and only needed to be dropped off at the attorneys office.

Most understand todays economy and when I say that the money received will help a lot of people is an understatement. We are all just ready for it to be over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">