• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dad passed away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DebbieC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.
My dad passed away in Louisianna on 12/27/08. My sister was executor and tells me I was not in the will. I called the Clerk of Courts and discovered that I was, in fact, in the will and the Courts are showing a check was issued to me. I received nothing. A probate was filed 5/15/09. Since she was the executor, could she keep the money that was supposed to be awarded to me?

justalayman

Since she was the executor, could she keep the money that was supposed to be awarded to me?
Not legally and if there were a check issued, I would speak with the issuing party (sis?) and ask where it is. Without knowing how much money you are speaking of, it may or may not be worth hiring a lawyer to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">