• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dad's house, health and assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kyka

What is the name of your state?New Jersey
Hi,
I hope someone can help me out. My dad doesn't have a will or trust currently. He is not married but he's been living with my stepmom for over 10 yrs. My dad said that he never wanted to get married because he wanted to leave his assets to me. I'm his only daughter and my mother died when I was a child. The house was bought by my dad and my stepmom(together). My stepmother has a daughter and a son, but they are not my dad's. If something was to happen to my dad.. will I get half of the house? or does he still need a will? If he does need a will, I really don't know how to ask him to get one done. I feel really weird about this whole thing, but he is getting old and his health is not as good as many years ago. Also, what about if someone needs to make decisions at a hospital because he is not capable? Can I make the decision for him? or will my stepmom be the one to make the decision? I just want to know the rights my stepmom has over him since they are not married, but the term "common law" applies to our situation. Thank u!

lwpat

Rest assured that if you Dad passes first your "stepmom" will do everything she can to see that you receive nothing. Evidently you agree or you would not have posted.

There are a lot of issues involving elder care and the available government programs. It is his best interest for you to be proactive to be sure that his needs are met. My suggestion would be to pay an attorney for a consultation and let him explain to your father his options and make recommendations.

The living will situation is an excellent excuse to get him to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">