• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my father is missing!? conservatorship? What should i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cundiff5571

I live in california. my name is aaron and im 24 years old. my father went missing about a year and a half ago. his girlfriend of 10 years just moved out of his house which my grandmother who is deceased had paid for in full. my older (yet very irresponsible) brother is currently living there. when my dads girlfriend moved out she took most of the stuff in the house (which really isnt the issue) and left me a paper from the ca state franchise tax board. this letter says my father owes roughly 400k dollars in state taxes. I still havent seen the federal. im positve with his latest tax guy, well be able to reduce his liability. the problem is i dont know what actions to take. i did seek leagal advice but he is not only very expensive, but also seems to be a little unsure of his own advice. (my fathers attorneys office suggested him since they are not able to talk to us due to conflict of intrest.) the first time he is telling me i should get a conservatorship and then the next meeting he says we may not need one. ive been told it isnt my responsibility to worry about his taxes, but why not. i dont want to lose more of his assets than is due. 1)for the sake of him turning up( it seems highly unlikly due to circumstantial evidence and 2) for his kids benifits (me and my two brothers). i also need to know which route to go to find out important information regarding his financial standings (accts, bills etc...) what should i do? what should I know? where do I start?
thanks aaron

BlondiePB

cundiff5571 said:
I live in california. my name is aaron and im 24 years old. my father went missing about a year and a half ago. his girlfriend of 10 years just moved out of his house which my grandmother who is deceased had paid for in full. my older (yet very irresponsible) brother is currently living there. when my dads girlfriend moved out she took most of the stuff in the house (which really isnt the issue) and left me a paper from the ca state franchise tax board. this letter says my father owes roughly 400k dollars in state taxes. I still havent seen the federal. im positve with his latest tax guy, well be able to reduce his liability. the problem is i dont know what actions to take. i did seek leagal advice but he is not only very expensive, but also seems to be a little unsure of his own advice. (my fathers attorneys office suggested him since they are not able to talk to us due to conflict of intrest.) the first time he is telling me i should get a conservatorship and then the next meeting he says we may not need one. ive been told it isnt my responsibility to worry about his taxes, but why not. i dont want to lose more of his assets than is due. 1)for the sake of him turning up( it seems highly unlikly due to circumstantial evidence and 2) for his kids benifits (me and my two brothers). i also need to know which route to go to find out important information regarding his financial standings (accts, bills etc...) what should i do? what should I know? where do I start?
thanks aaron
If you want to do anything regarding this, apply for conservator of your father's estate. Make sure you know how to sign documents so that you do not make yourself the guarantor of any of your father's debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">