• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my mothers house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nique88

What is the name of your state? Illinois. My mother died close to three years ago, and since then, I have continued living there with my kids, paying the mortgage, homeowners insurance, etc. She did not leave a will, and I am wondering if maybe I should notify the mortgage company, but since she still owes 109,000 on the house, will they just make us move and take the house if they find out, even though I am still paying the mortgage? Also, is it too late to go through probate? Will I lose the house if I do?

also, what if there are other siblings, do they have any rights at this late date, even though they contribute nothing toward the upkeep of the home? What are my options? It has been close to four years since my mother's death. Could someone please offer me some advice?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">