• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is my relative breaking the law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

electricdoc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My elderly uncle died without a will, his wife is senile and unable to make sound decisions. Their adopted son went to the bank the same day my uncle died and withdrew $50 thousand from my uncle's account. He also takes $600 a month from the same account for his personal use. I think that all that money still belongs to my aunt and should be used for her health care even though she is not capable of handling it. I want to confront my cousin but need to be aware of all of the legal issues before hand. What can I do to protect my aunt from being tossed in the street penniless?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My elderly uncle died without a will, his wife is senile and unable to make sound decisions. Their adopted son went to the bank the same day my uncle died and withdrew $50 thousand from my uncle's account. He also takes $600 a month from the same account for his personal use. I think that all that money still belongs to my aunt and should be used for her health care even though she is not capable of handling it. I want to confront my cousin but need to be aware of all of the legal issues before hand. What can I do to protect my aunt from being tossed in the street penniless?
A) Whose names are on the checking account?
B) Was the estate probated?
C) How long ago did your uncle die?
D) Who is your aunt's guardian?

anteater

Of course, you could open probate and petition the court to order cousin to return the funds to the probate estate on the theory that uncle did not really intend a right of survivorship when your cousin was added to the account. Also, of course, it would be good to have some evidence of that before embarking.

I wonder if the cousin paid the PA inheritance tax on half the value of the account.

electricdoc

Of course, you could open probate and petition the court to order cousin to return the funds to the probate estate on the theory that uncle did not really intend a right of survivorship when your cousin was added to the account. Also, of course, it would be good to have some evidence of that before embarking.

((I wonder if the cousin paid the PA inheritance tax on half the value of the account.))

I checked with the county court, he has one year (from march 7, 2012) to pay any owed inheritance taxes, nothing has been done regarding the estate as of last week.

anteater

I checked with the county court, he has one year (from march 7, 2012) to pay any owed inheritance taxes, nothing has been done regarding the estate as of last week.
It's actually 9 months from the date of death before penalties and interest kick in.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears PA has 2 types of joint accounts. One with survivor-ship and one in common. Only the executor would have standing to inquire on the status of this account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">