• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sisterinlaw is trying to get more than her share...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just want to

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My Fathers Trust account divided 50% to My Sister inlaw and myself. We settled most of the trust back in Dec. 2002 and I paid her $200,000 of the 226,000. She opted for the cash and that left me with my Dads investments, and his house. Now she is saying I should have rented out the house, and is now asking for additional money. $50,000 to be exact. This is more than 50% of the trust......

I have done a final accounting for the trust. I have the $26,000 to pay her, but have to go to court, as her attorney is trying to get this money from me. I am not willing to pay her more than her share after all accounting after death comes to 26,000.

What should I do. I am representing my self in this matter...

Mary

Dandy Don

Representing yourself is never wise, as you are not privy to all of the facts and strategies as an attorney would be.

Are YOU the trustee or is it someone else? If you are trustee, you have absolute discretion as trustee to decide whether or not the house should have been rented. What happened to the house--was it eventually sold or not? There is no legal obligation for you to rent it out. Your sister's argument is foolish and it is best to keep this out of the court if possible. She is only trying to stiff you for more money and this is a frivolous lawsuit. But if you all want to waste money on attorney fees, please go right ahead.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

just want to

Thank you Dandy Don,:)

This has been an ongoing thing since Feb. of this year. I am trustee, and I have jumped through every hoop imaginable to be cooperative with her. No the house is not sold yet, My daughter and husband are going to as soon as this is over. You have to have a permit to rent out a house in the City the house is in. Never got a permit because I did't rent it out, but my daughter and family live there... In my "final accounting" for the estate, I even told the Judge this was a frivolous lawsuit.... I did have a lawyer, but he wasn't helpful for me... Just wanted to make more money.. $3000.00 and they did nothing but make me look bad... The lawyer I hired didn't even come to court, he sent someone that knew nothing about the case**************.:mad:Got rid of him, as I don't see her getting anymore money in the judges decision than she is due..

Thanks again Don

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">