• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My sister's inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aduva

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My sister inherited some money. We have a copy of the will, sent by the decedent's (my Mom) attorney. My Mom has her husband as a personal representative, and he has requested informal probate of the will, and informal appointment of himself as personal representative without bond. I live in Michigan. Who is my sister supposed to contact to receive her money? Do we contact my Mom's lawyer, or the personal representative?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

You (or sis, actually) shouldn't have to contact anybody. They should be contacting you (sis). And it is the PR that you deal with.

anteater

And, if he has only recently requested appointment, it is likely that it will be at least 6 months before any distributions to beneficiaries happen. Might be sooner, but I would not count on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">