• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Son Needs Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loonetoonz

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I have a 36 year old son who's father died in January 2006. He died intestate. The 2nd wife is the executor of the estate. She has sold or given away almost everything possible except his real estate. She will not communicate at all with my son about the settlement. He has no idea what is happening and the attorney for the estate says he can't advise him. I know he needs to hire an attorney but he has no money to do so. All he wants is a small piece of property that his Dad and I purchased when we were still married. Her name is not on the deed, only the deceased. Is there a form he can file with the courts to see that he gets what he is rightfully entitled to?What is the name of your state?

S

shell007

loonetoonz said:
I have a 36 year old son who's father died in January 2006. He died intestate. The 2nd wife is the executor of the estate. She has sold or given away almost everything possible except his real estate. She will not communicate at all with my son about the settlement. He has no idea what is happening and the attorney for the estate says he can't advise him. I know he needs to hire an attorney but he has no money to do so. All he wants is a small piece of property that his Dad and I purchased when we were still married. Her name is not on the deed, only the deceased. Is there a form he can file with the courts to see that he gets what he is rightfully entitled to?What is the name of your state?
Why do think your son is entitled to the property?
Did you husband have a will that stated this?

CALIF-LAWPRO13

loonetoonz said:

My response:

He doesn't need an attorney. He needs to go to his nearest bookstore and buy a book on the subject of Probate, and start learning, and start doing!

IAAL

loonetoonz

shellandty said:
Why do think your son is entitled to the property?
Did you husband have a will that stated this?
No he had no will, this is the problem. My son should be entitled to something from his Fathers estate. Besides that, the law in North Carolina says he is!

CALIF-LAWPRO13

loonetoonz said:
No he had no will, this is the problem. My son should be entitled to something from his Fathers estate. Besides that, the law in North Carolina says he is!

My response:

Good! Then why are you still here, and not at your local bookstore?

IAAL

pojo2

CALIF-LAWPRO13 said:
My response:

Good! Then why are you still here, and not at your local bookstore?

IAAL
More to the point why is a 36 year old man not handling this himself?

Dandy Don

Your son is a legal heir. Even if he can't afford to pay the attorney right now, he can ask an attorney to look at the probate file and if the attorney is smart enough to figure out exactly what the son is entitled to, the attorney will go ahead and start working on the case and arrangements can be made by the son to pay the fee later, whenever the son gets what he is entitled to from the estate.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">