• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my son is out of state but i want to file for guardianship in my home state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

latigo

im in new hampshire and i want to file for guardianship of my son who lives out of state .. how can i start the process
If the son is a minor, then by New Hampshire law you as a parent are the son’s legal guardian – shared jointly with the mother unless that authority has been usurped by a NW domestic or probate court. Which is so regardless of the child’s state of residence.(NH Statutes Section I 463:3 Parents' Rights.)

But then there is subsection II of that Code Section, which in part seems a bit superfluous:

“Nothing in this chapter shall prevent the probate court from appointing a guardian of the person or of the estate or both, and the custody of any minor may be awarded to either parent by such court.

However, your quest is not going to happen while the present circumstances continue to exist. Why?

Because the appointment process under Part II cannot be invoked unless the child (minor or of age) is physically present in the New Hampshire County where and when the guardianship proceedings are commenced. See Section 463:4 3 Jurisdiction and Venue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">