• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Named as debtor in foreclosure proceeding for deceased mother's mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terynda

What is the name of your state? OHIO

My mother died in June 2005. (FYI - she and her husband were considered my legal guardians. I was never legally adopted.) She moved into a new house in October 2001, shortly before the death of my father - her husband. Her youngest son applied for and was named as the Adminsitrator of the estate (I did not contest as I did not want to be responsible for it and I do not really speak to either of her sons). He obtained a probate lawyer and had everything in probate court. There was still a mortgage on the house and the car was not paid for either. As far as I knew, everything was going fine.

I recently received papers from the court that I am a named defendant in a lawsuit against my deceased mother regarding the mortgage (apparently unpaid since November 2005). The papers indicated foreclosure proceedings had begun. I would like to buy my own home in the next couple of years. How am I now responsible for the mortgage on a house I never lived in nor had any legal financial connection to? Will this foreclosure appear on my credit rating, thus destroying my efforts to buy a home of my own? HELP!!!

Dandy Don

Please don't worry about this needlessly. The only reason your name appears on the paperwork is that the mortgage company has to legally put the names of all of the legal heirs on the foreclosure notice because they have a potential interest in the home. It is just a technicality. You are not responsible in any way for the mortgage payments.

Whether it appears on your credit rating, I'm not sure about--you will have to contact the credit reporting agency yourself to see if it shows up.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">