• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

genieg25

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Arkansas
Four years ago my mother passed away leaving a will and my brother the executor of the estate. As of this date he still hasn't taken care of business. He lives in Michigan so I've had to leave it all up to him, but four years is long enough to get things done. What can I do to hurry him up? or can I legally go to Michigan and take it over

Dandy Don

Are you absolutely sure she left a will? Do you know where it is now?

If possible, you need to have some idea of the value of her estate (what the assets are and how much they are worth) before filing for probate.

You can hire your own probate attorney (for whatever state she died in--you didn't say whether she died in Arkansas or Michigan, but it is the state she died in that decides where probate will take place in that county of the city where she died), or do the probate yourself. After the estate has been opened up, you or the administrator can ask the judge to ask brother to produce the will for court if he has it. If the will can't be found, then the estate will be divided up according to state law.

Brother, if he was named executor, probably thinks he can claim all of the assets and keep everything secret, but that is not true--he must account for all assets and of course make payments to heirs.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">