• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice for the kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allisonpowell69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia-Recently,my ex-husband and father to my two sons (ages 22&26yrs old) passed away unexpectedly at the age of 48. He was remarried,but other than his wife of 15 yrs. he had only our sons to be thought of as beneficiaries. Since his death in May his wife has not mentioned anything to either son about a will or anything their father could have left them. She didn't even want an autopsy done on his body. He had many assets including a very successful "family ran" business,home, boats,cars,etc.. Don't my children have any say so in what happens to their father's things, or does she have full control of everything. We're not positive he had a will,but knowing what a responsible man he was, I'm sure he was prepared for something like this. What do my kids need to do?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia-Recently,my ex-husband and father to my two sons (ages 22&26yrs old) passed away unexpectedly at the age of 48. He was remarried,but other than his wife of 15 yrs. he had only our sons to be thought of as beneficiaries. Since his death in May his wife has not mentioned anything to either son about a will or anything their father could have left them. She didn't even want an autopsy done on his body. He had many assets including a very successful "family ran" business,home, boats,cars,etc.. Don't my children have any say so in what happens to their father's things, or does she have full control of everything. We're not positive he had a will,but knowing what a responsible man he was, I'm sure he was prepared for something like this. What do my kids need to do?
If your ex did not have a will, and there were assets that would have gone into an estate, then the intestate laws of the state where he resided would apply. However, very often a married couple jointly own everything, and everything passes to the remaining spouse, outside of an estate. All your son's could do is consult with a probate attorney in the state in question, and have that attorney make inquiries.

Silverplum

Regarding the bolded: That's not your business. It's not even the business of his sons. And it's not remotely relevant to your question.

What happened when your sons ASKED their stepmother (of FIFTEEN YEARS) about wanting a memento of Dad's??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">