• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Death Certificates Quickly, are Online Services Safe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punkinbudge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I need to obtain the death certificate of a deceased parent, and the processing time listed on the website of Vital Records in Sacramento will take up to 18 weeks and I need it much sooner than that.

I’m in the opposite end of the state, and can’t travel to the county where my parent’s death certificate is to apply in person.

Is it safe to use an online business that advertises obtaining death certificate services? Should I hire a PI?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Safe? What do you mean? If you don't have a reputable website, I wouldn't give my credit card info to them, but, they're not going to hurt you otherwise. Get a PI if you want to go to the place and get the certificate. If he can.

Having been through things where I needed such things before, get more than one. They're cheap and you won't have such an emergency in the future.

punkinbudge

I'm wondering if any website advertising the service of obtaining Death Certificates is reputable, legitimate. I don't know if this entire service is a scam or not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm wondering if any website advertising the service of obtaining Death Certificates is reputable, legitimate. I don't know if this entire service is a scam or not.
You can request expedited processing - there is no reason to hire anyone to do this for you. What county do you need a copy of the record from?

punkinbudge

I need it from Orange County. Their website says you have to appear in person to collect the Death Certificate, and traveling down there would be a hardship.

Dandy Don

Most offices do offer expedited service for an additional fee--have you called the offices to see if they offer that service and how long it would take?

Visit the website Free Genealogy Research -- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness) and you can find a volunteer in any county/city who would be cooperative in making the trip to pick up this document for you, or you could contact a family law attorney to do it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">