• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In need of help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DawnD

Im from New York..

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking at the posts and do not see anything simular to my situation. Im sorry if this is a repost...

My Father passed away over 6 months ago, he did not have a will he was only 57 years old and violently passed.. I was very distraught and going through depression.. The funeral did not go well because my step mother is not fond of my brother and myself.. I was contacted by her son (who is not my fathers child) and told that I was going to recieve nothing of my fathers and to basically "take a walk".. I was not even thinking on the level of collecting anything from my fathers estate until this phone call..

I had to get a lawyer because My Step mother was going to probate and said that my father was worth nothing.. Which he owned a house and other properties in his name..

Now, she is the administrator of the will, lives in the house which is NOT under her name, sold his boat which was worth alot of money.. Now she has a lawyer that is not calling my lawyer back to see what is going on with the estate and my lawyer seems to be giving up as well..

What is the process of how long it should take to either buy me out, or sell the house?
The amount that is owed to me is not large at all.. Now this is all just for a personal level..

Thanks for any help in advance
DawnWhat is the name of your state?

DawnD

Hi,
He died without a will.. My lawyer said something about that my steo mother had to "post bond" to be the administrator.. Which I am not sure what that is.. And I have not been contacted by the courts in anyway.. So I do not know how far this is going. It just seems that now.. My Step mother is giving all collectors that are calling about credit cards our home phone number and we are being harassed.. She has sold off alot of his items he owned.. My lawyer is saying we are only entitled to a cut of the home value.. But nothing has been heard of from anyone and my lawyer is calling their lawyer and their lawyer is not returning her phone calls.. 10 attempts to call their lawyer so far..

Dandy Don

What is the house worth if it were to be sold? Since this estate may not have many other assets other than the house, you need to be asking your attorney IF the home was sold whether you would be entitled to a share of it. Looks like there is a lot of debt that may need to be paid off first before the heirs split any money, and you need to find out how much the widow would be entitled to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">