• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ooma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA. My mama passed away in January. My "brother" got himself named administrator-her will managed to grow legs & walk away. The ONLY person benifiting is him. He had no $ to help put her to rest, but he has hired an attorney, knowing I cannot afford one, & is doing all he can to s?r?w me over. I have lived in my home for over 15yrs. It used to belong to my mamas parents & was left to her. She in turn left it to me & I was to leave it to my daughter. My brother already received our childhood home free & clear, talked mom into mortgaging it to start a business & lost the house to foreclosure. Now he is trying to take this house. The house has a mortgage on it-also because of him & is more than the value of the house. Her estate is 99%debt & 1% assets. His plan is to let the house go into foreclosure, then take over the loan because it is w/a private party, not a mortgage co. I don't care about me, but I do care that my daughter may lose the one thing she grew up knowing was to be hers & that she was raised in. Mama lived w/us for the last 10yrs & it was my priveledge to take care of her the last 2yrs of her life. What can I do to not lose the house for my daughter? Also, because there was never a rental agreement <to his knowledge> between mom & I, his attorney says that EVERYTHING in the house @ the time of her death is part of her estate. What do I do so I don't lose the things that matter to us? Don't care about the monetary value, it is the memories that matter!!! Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ooma

What I meant

In mamas will that disppeared she had left the house to me. It was a known fact w/family members & friends of both of ours that the 2 houses would be devided that way-our childhood home to my brother & our grandparents house to me. My mama & i talked numerous times about the house & my daughter, and she knew & told my daughter repeatedly thru the years that some day the house would be hers. So in a "legal" way, no, she did not leave the house to me-ONLY because her will is gone. Thank you for your time....

anteater

Have you tried to find a copy of the will?

If I understand it, the house has a mortgage. Even if you managed to find a copy of the will and are able to have the court accept it, can you continue to make the mortgage payments?

ooma

Yes to both

Have you tried to find a copy of the will?

If I understand it, the house has a mortgage. Even if you managed to find a copy of the will and are able to have the court accept it, can you continue to make the mortgage payments?
Yes to both ?'s. Mamas will was ALWAYS in the same place, for over 10yrs. Have tried everything I, friends & family have been able to think of & have had no luck. As for the mortgage, yes, it would be hard, but I would be able to pay it every month. Thank you again for your time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">